Monday, July 17, 2017

Life Long Learning



This week was the first session of my class at Johnson County Community College, “Black and White Photography in the 21st Century.” The second session will be this Thursday. I am also teaching a class this Wednesday at Village Shalom on The History of Photography. 

In a few weeks I will be starting a 13 week introduction to Income Tax for H&R Block. I have been an instructor for H&R Block for a number of years, but I have always taught advanced classes for tax pros. This class is open to anybody who would like to work for Block or would just like to learn more about our tax system.

In case you hadn’t heard, there is a people shortage in just about every area of the economy. Tax preparation is no exception. H&R Block is in need of tax professionals, office managers, and receptionists. The Income Tax Course is the front door. If you, or anybody you know, might be interested, let me know and I will give a referral.

You may have noticed a theme to this article. First that I am heading into a phase of life where passing along knowledge and experience is becoming more important. As we get older we have an obligation to share wisdom and experience with those not as far down the road. The second theme is continuing education. Life-long learning is the greatest gift we can give ourselves. I have heard that if you are self-employed or doing some sort of freelancing that you should be spending approximately half of your time learning new skills, reading, attending seminars, trade shows, and so forth. If you are an employee, your employer should be encouraging your continued education, or you may be on your own. At any rate, life-long learning should be a high priority.