Monday, January 18, 2010

On being flexible

This week I heard two different definitions of being flexible. One method which I am familiar with is flying by the seat of your pants because you haven’t prepared. This seems to be what most people are referring to when they say they are flexible.

A better definition of being flexible is being so over prepared that you are prepared for just about any contingency. This seems to make a lot more sense.

I was at a gig recently when the question of flexibility came up. I said I was flexible. It dawned on me that what I meant was that I had about every piece of equipment I might need, and a few backups, in the car. Not that we would make do with what we had as is sometimes what we mean by being flexible.

Yes, flexibility is a good thing, but only if it means being over-prepared and not under-prepared.