Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Hairs on our head

The Bible tells that God has numbered even the hairs on our heads. Well, it turns out that that was a bit of an understatement. God made each of us totally unique and with a specific purpose. He then gave us each a serial number to identify us and wrote that number on every single cell of our body. That makes every last cell and molecule in our body totally unique. Scientists are now able to read this number. It is called DNA. They even know what a small part of it means, but most of it is still a huge mystery known only to the maker who stamped the number there in the first place – God.


God then gave us each interests, skills, and gifts. The combination of these characteristics will give us a big clue as to what our purpose or calling in life really is. If we would rate all of our interests, skills, and gifts or God-given attributes, on a scale of 1 to 100, where 50 was the average person, the high numbers might point to a very specific calling.

For example, this last weekend I rode in the MS150 bike tour. The stated purpose of the tour was to raise money to fight Multiple Sclerosis, but the real reasons varied from rider to rider. Personally I rode to prove to myself that I am not old yet. Others rode just to have fun. On a scale of 1 to 100 my interest in bicycling is about 78. My riding skill is probably about 65 and my giftedness for bicycling is around 85. That means I could be a lot better if wanted to be – if I trained harder. If all of those numbers were over 95, my goal would be the Tour de France not finishing the Missouri MS 150.

Some say that an interest rating over 80 is a need; I would say anything over 95 is a passion. The area where your passion, learned skills, and God-given abilities or “gifts” come together should be the focal point of your life. After all that is why God made you. He wrote it down in His book and then encoded it into every cell of your body.